Thursday, March 12, 2009

more cautious advice

Here is the last of the scoop that I'm sending to my young nuclear buddie (minus the summary), for your enjoyment!!

So what does it take to get into a SRO program at a commercial plant? Lets start off with what the actual regulations are here (http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/reg-guides/power-reactors/active/01-008/) and basically say that you need 2 years of experience in a “reactor operator” role. This is the reason for the interpretation of 2 years as an EWS, for non-RO navy guys. For my plant if you were in the navy at all and have a bachelors degree in an engineering field, you can get in. I will warn you that there are many companies (mine included) that will try to get a guy like you to start out in the non licensed role “to get some experience.” This is because, industry wide the work force is aging and they are desperate for all operators. This is how I ended up where I am, along with the fact that the SUBASE in Groton was on the BRAC list and none of the normal government contractors were hiring when I got out. I have a lot more experience in the plant and will have a much easier time in systems training than a SRO candidate off the street, but once you hire in, the company can decline to take your application for SRO until it is a their convenience (once again, my experience).

As for pay and overtime, I can only vouch for my plant which is unionized. The top step non licensed operator makes about 32$ an hour, RO’s make about 38$ an hour with a 5$ an hour bonus and standard rate (negotiable) for SRO’s is about 100K per year. We are currently working a 6 shift schedule with one week of afternoons, one week of midnights, one week of training days, and 2 weeks inplant daylights. Its not a bad schedule if you can handle the backshifts. The NLO’s and RO’s work some overtime, the “hogs” make a bundle (from 100K to 130K) but are always on site working overtime. They get time and a half for their “Saturdays” and doubletime for their “Sundays” so the overtime pay adds up quick. The SRO’s make overtime at a straight time rate, but at least get paid for it which is more than I can say for you guys. The company makes a 50% contributition to your 401K up to 3% (you put in 6% they put in 3%) and pays prorate for college courses, like for your masters degree. I can only assume that the other utilities are paying similarly, with area cost of living corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment